Usability Guidelines for Mobile Web
WebCredible has this great article about usability on mobile web, 7 usability guidelines for websites on mobile devices. With actual examples and screenshots, pros and cons of each are explained nicely and clearly.
The seven guidelines are:
- Meet user’s needs quickly
- Don’t repeat the navigation on the every page
- Clearly distinguish selected items
- Make user input as easy as possible
- Only show essential information
- Place basic browsing control
- Design mobile-friendly layouts
Do they seem to be common-sense to you?
Yeah, but trust me, creating mobile web pages following the guidelines is not as easy as it appears to be. Mobile web is not just a dumb-down version of its desktop web sites, as some of you may think. Mobile web has whole new purposes!
By the way, I am glad to see Yahoo!’s oneSearch is used as an example for the “meet users’ needs”. We’re working really hard to provide the best mobile experiences to you!!!
comments powered by